With the support of Creative Scotland we are supporting six emerging Scottish artists to showcase their light artwork in the 2017 festival through the following tiered support:
- 2 x £2,500 project budgets
- 2 x £1,000 project budgets
- 2 x £500 wee-commissions
This is a valuable opportunity for emerging artists to show their work at a hugely successfully festival attended by 35,000 people in 2016 and to integrate into a network of nationally and internationally renowned light and sound artists working with successful arts producers and industry professionals.
The wee-commissions are primarily designed to support student artists and designers living in Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire to realise innovative ideas or make their first steps into professional public art/ light based practice. As such this fee is all inclusive (does not include travel and accommodation).
The £1,000 and £2,500 fees include a travel and accommodation contribution of £250 per project.
Installations will be positioned in the arches beneath Union Terrace. Please refer to the usage of the site in your application.
If mains power is being used it is the artist's responsibility to ensure electrical connections are safe for outdoor use on IP44 plugs.
SPECTRA festival will provide single phase 16a power to your installation location. There will be limited technical support where needed, however artists are responsible for the installation and delivery of their work.
Selected artists will have access to the site from 9am on the 6th February for install.
Selection will be made by the SPECTRA jury whose decision is final.
In order to apply you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be based in Scotland
- Your work must be a light art piece that is suitable for installation outdoors in the public realm
- The work must be functional for the entirety of the festival from Thursday 9th to Sunday 12th February.
- You must be available in Aberdeen for the tech and launch of the festival: 8th and 9th February 2017
- The work must be installed and ready to go 'as live' for a tech run-through on the 8th February 2017
- All work must be removed from the site no later than 14th February 2017.
This opportunity is also open to students in graduate or post graduate studies.
To apply please complete the below application form.
DEADLINE: Friday 9th December, noon
[wufoo username="curatedplace" formhash="z1vh2crj0p11jgi" autoresize="true" height="3367" header="show" ssl="true"] You can find our more information about SPECTRA festival and past programmes here.