We are looking for volunteers to help with the delivery of SPECTRA, Aberdeen’s Festival of Light. There are lots of different ways to get involved all listed in the call-out below.
The recruitment is being managed by our partners Aberdeen City Council, so if you are interested please contact Louisa Snelling on LSnelling@aberdeencity.gov.uk.
Volunteer at SPECTRA 2017
What’s in it for you?
• SPECTRA, Aberdeen’s annual festival of light is first and foremost great fun!
• Get up close to the work of leading international artists as well as talented Scottish creatives and help the public to enjoy the experience. There are lots of interactive pieces, so there’s plenty for all ages to enjoy and a number of more thought provoking installations. SPECTRA brings light, art, technology and music together to create an amazing spectacle.
• Whilst it’s hard work we believe you’ll find it rewarding. Whether you’re a student looking to gain experience in festivals, or just enjoy cultural events and keen to get stuck in, then we can find a role for you. It’s an amazing opportunity to put on your CV and make you stand out from the crowd. Plus you’ll have the satisfaction of knowing you’ve helped to bring another successful event to Aberdeen that makes art accessible to all.
• If you are a student we’re happy to verify the work and hours you’ve done for a course leader if required.
• We’ll provide an induction and training so even if this is the first event you’ve volunteered at you’ll soon feel at home.
What’s in it for us?
• SPECTRA is a very popular FREE event open to the public. We rely on volunteers to help us deliver a high quality visitor experience during the four night festival run across our various sites and are very grateful for everyone’s help.
Don’t forget your thermals, it’s going to be chilly!
• Most of the roles involve working outdoors, which will be a chilly experience at best, and a cold, wet and windy experience at worst, so wrap up with lots of layers. We recommend you wear sturdy shoes or boots.
What skills and qualities are we looking for?
• The public play a major part in many of our roles, so we’re looking for volunteers who are friendly, good with people and have a good customer service attitude.
• However, if you’re more technical, behind the scenes, then we have roles for you too. Production volunteers are needed to help with the set up and dismantling of the installations.
All volunteers must be:
• 18 years old or over
• Be good with people and willing to work as part of a team
• Have availability and commitment to undertake the role you are interested in
• Attend a Volunteers Briefing session on Tuesday 6 February, 6-7pm, at Seventeen, 15-17 Belmont
Street, Aberdeen AB10 1JR.
The SPECTRA organisers, Curated Place and Aberdeen City Council Events team will explain
everything you need to know about the festival and the duties required in each role. If you’re
keen to volunteer but unable to make this time please email LSnelling@aberdeencity.gov.uk
What are the roles and when do you need us?
• Production Assistants – need to be available during the set up Mon 6-Thurs 9 Feb and
dismantling Mon 13-Tues 14 Feb
Experience of installing artwork and being good with a tool box is an advantage but not essential as
training will be given. Although building the artwork is strenuous work involving long hours and
attention to detail, it is equally rewarding and assistants will work closely with the artists to ensure it is installed correctly. A clear understanding of health and safety and respect for adhering to site
management rules is required.
In previous years some Production Assistants have also volunteered in the evenings as they are
really familiar with, and understand, the artwork so can show the public how to interact with it
too – Thurs 9- Tues 12 February 6-10pm
• Event Stewards – need to be available during Thurs 9- Tues 12 February 6-10pm
– It’s great if you can help for the whole festival but not essential.
Welcome the public, hand out maps, answer general questions, give directions and information.
Crowd management, looking out for hazards and reporting any incidents and assisting in emergency
situations. Will suit those with a friendly and positive attitude keen to give good customer
service and make the festival an enjoyable experience. Stewards are our ambassadors and will be
responsible for the audience’s first impression of the festival.
• Conference Notetakers – Fri 10 & Sat 11 Feb 9am-5pm
The Catalyst Conference is a high profile two day cultural conference with International and UK
speakers and open to artists, designers, academics, architects, business leaders and social
Sessions will be recorded on video, and to complement this we require a written record the
discussions which take place so we can feed back on potential projects and collaborations at the
end which have come out of these conversations. This would suit a journalism student familiar
with freehand or anyone who is good at summarising and recording key points made during the
• ‘Stanza’ Art installation Volunteers – need to be available Thurs 9-Sun 12 Feb 6-10pm
12 volunteers are required to take part in an interactive piece by becoming part of a Binary Graffiti
Club. Twelve people will walk around the city, wearing a Binary Club black hooded top to represent
units of data, either 1 or a 0. Each person’s movements will be tracked, their real time position will
be fed back to the servers and used to create patterns on an image on display for the public to see.
Where will you be working?
You’ll be located at one of our sites:
• Union Terrace Gardens
• Marischal College
• Seventeen on Belmont Street
• St Nicholas Kirkyard
• The Roof Top Garden next to St Nicholas Kirkyard (New for 2017)
Who is organising the event and who will you be working with?
SPECTRA 2017 is an Aberdeen City Council project delivered in partnership with Curated Place. Curated
Place is an arts-led production company delivering, creating and curating contemporary exhibitions and
events on an international platform.
How do I sign up?
Please email Louisa Snelling on LSnelling@aberdeencity.gov.uk with the following details:
• Mobile Number:
• Dates available:
• Role/s interested in:
• Any related skills/experience:
• Have you volunteered at Spectra before, if so when and what did you do?:
• If you’re a student, which course and year you are in: